Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Baby Sammin!

Back on December 23, Paul and I got the most wonderful Christmas gift- we found out I'm pregnant!  Baby is due around August 28th.  We decided to keep it to ourselves for awhile until I was further along in the pregnancy, and it was so hard to stay quiet, especially over the holidays!

At 6 weeks, in early January, I had an early scan, "just to be sure everything was where it was supposed to be".  At 10 weeks, the day before I flew to MN, I had my first full doctor's appointment and another scan- in 4 weeks things had gone from a ball with a movement that was the heartbeat to something recognizable as a baby!

The timing was great, as I was able to tell all my family and friends in MN the good news in person.  Margo and I had an elaborate plan to tell my mom at the airport via Freya, but unfortunately my flight was really early, and the glitter on Freya's t-shirt didn't dry in time.  She wore it later on though!

We're not going to find out the gender of the baby, so I stocked up on lots of yellow and green baby clothes- everything is so much cheaper in the States, so I took advantage of the shopping opportunity.  I also received wonderful gifts and hand-me-downs from friends and family.  Here's what the haul looked like when I got back to Ireland!

A couple of days after I got back to Ireland, at 13 weeks, I had a first trimester screening (a bit late because of being away in MN).  Baby was stubborn and kept his or her back turned the whole time, but the results were all very good.

I've been very lucky to be feeling pretty good- a couple instances of queasiness, but nothing too bad.  I was extremely tired at first, but am feeling much more energized now and have started doing a lot more walking.  I think the worst thing so far was getting a bad cold and cough while I was in MN and not really being able to take anything for it.  I will never take cough syrup for granted again!

I have promised friends and family back in MN that I will be better at keeping this updated during the pregnancy and especially after baby arrives- so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Molly said...

Yay! Keep the posts coming! So happy for you guys - you will be great parents! And, great minds must think alike because I was just thinking of switching my blog template to this one a few days ago! Glad you are feeling good & having more energy!

Jessica said...

I ditto Molly's comments! I'm exciting to hear about all things baby! Only thing better is if I could lend/give you more stuff. Congrats again :)

Erin Marie said...

Congrats! I had an idea you were, and I'm so happy for you! He/She will forever change your life, in an amazing way. It is great being a mom, I love it! Congrats again!!!

meghan and josh said...

i am so very excited for you!!! i can't wait for a babe with an irish accent...